Chef Sean Wight of Frog Hollow Tavern in Augusta, Georgia demonstrates his take on a classic low-country rice dish to make a delicious quail perlau.
Prep Time: 45 minutes, Cook Time: 1 hour, Servings: 8
Quail Perlau Recipe Ingredients:
- 8 whole quail or 12 -16 boneless quail breast meat
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- ½ lb good smoked bacon
- 1 lb good pork sausage, (garlic sausage best)
- 6 sticks chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups blanched butter beans (optional)
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups long grain rice (Anson Mills Charleston Gold if possible)
- Salt & pepper
Directions to Prepare Quail Perlau:
1. Render down the bacon and sausage and remove from skillet.
2. Sear Quail in the bacon and sausage drippings, when seared on both sides remove quail and set aside.
3. Cook down the onions and celery until soft in leftover drippings.
4. Add cooked bacon and sausage back into the onions and celery as well as garlic and pepper, cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add rice and stir it into the mix. Let it cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Add 3 cups of stock and stir it in bringing it to a simmer. Place lid on skillet and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
7. Check mixture for moistness. If needed add more stock. Add the quail and bring mixture back to a simmer. Place lid on skillet and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. When quail and rice is done, add butter beans and let them warm through. When beans are warm you are ready to eat.