Try This Unique Cooking Style on Your Next Venison Roast
Recipe Ingredients for Venison Roast
- Your choice of venison, 2-5 lbs
- Olive oil
- Cabela's Open Season All Purpose Seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. As the oven heats, coat the roast all over with olive oil and your favorite wild-game spices; or keep it simple with a paste of salt, pepper, minced garlic and a little olive oil.
3. Set the roast in a Dutch oven or shallow roasting pan and place it in the pre-heated oven. Let it cook for 5 minutes per pound for medium rare, or 7 minutes per pound for medium. Then, turn off the oven and walk away. Do not open the oven door!
4. Let the venison roast rest in the warm oven for two hours. After the two hours is up, remove the roast from the oven and slice as thinly as possible.
Click here to print or download the venison roast recipe
The key to cooking a venison roast this way is faith, as there is no peeking into the oven during the two-hour rest period. Just turn off the oven after the recommended cooking time of 5 minutes per pound, then walk away for a couple of hours. Opening the oven will release the heat that continues to cook the roast even after the oven is turned off. If you are worried about overcooking, a remote temperature probe stuck into the middle of the roast will let you know when the roast reaches the target temperature of 130 degrees.