What are the things that make family camping … well … camping for your family?
We can all agree that a campfire is essential and lives on top of the list. Number two has to be toasting marshmallows over the glowing embers of that campfire. Toasted marshmallows are the source of the greatest debate in camping, as well. Golden brown and oozey gooey or torched in the flames and charred black like a briquette?
Wherever marshmallows are toasted and debated, s’mores can’t be far behind. 50 Campfires offers up these five recipes for some fun and delicious twists on the basic graham cracker, milk chocolate bar, marshmallow combination.
Just be careful! When word gets out about your creations, yours will be the most popular site on the whole campground. Bring plenty of marshmallows.
Fudge Cookie S’mores
It’s kind of weird posting a recipe with only two ingredients, but this one is just too good not to tell you about.
On a traditional s’more, getting the chocolate to just the right level of melted-ness can be tough. The heat of the marshmallow isn’t enough to do it. This recipe takes care of that dilemma.
- 1 bag roasting-sized marshmallows
- 1 bag Fudge Striped cookies (the ones made by elves work great)
- Toast the marshmallow to your idea of perfection.
- Using two fudge striped cookies, sandwich them on opposite sides of the marshmallow, squeeze and pull the marshmallow from the roasting stick.
- Hold for a few seconds to allow the marshmallow to warm the chocolate.
- Then FEAST! (You’ll find it’s the neatest if you can fit the whole thing in your mouth in one bite.)
- Wash down with milk or your favorite beverage.
Honey Stinger S’more
Honey Stingers are made in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and no energy food – new or old - embraces the mountain lifestyle more. Honey Stingers are great on their own, but in a s’more? Now that’s a Colorado Rocky Mountain High!
- 2 Honey Stinger waffles (we went with original honey, but any of the flavors are great)
- About a heaping tablespoon of Nutella
- 2 “perfectly” toasted marshmallows
- Open two Honey Stinger packets (they come one to a packet)
- Spread the Nutella evenly across one waffle … or double up and go for it.
- Toast the marshmallow and pull it off the roasting stick between the two Honey Stingers.
- Cut it across the middle to share … or not.
Pumpkin Spice S’mores
Some folks just can’t get enough of the pumpkin spice flavor, especially on those camping trips in the early days of autumn. If that’s you, then you’ll love this take on the good ol’ s’more.
Ingredients (for the pumpkin spice)
- 3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cloves
Ingredients (for the s’more)
- Graham crackers
- Toasting size marshmallows
- 1/8tsp. your premixed pumpkin spice
- Mix ingredients for pumpkin spice and store in airtight container (shaker top is best.)
- Spread Nutella generouslymon one or both halves of graham cracker.
- Sprinkle with the pumpkin spice.
- Toast marshmallow to your view of perfection.
- Place marshmallow between halves of graham cracker (Nutella side(s) in.
- Squeeze and allow marshmallow to slightly melt the Nutella.
Caramel Apple S’mores
These fireside eats will be a hit on the next camping trip! Simple and delicious, just roast your marshmallow and put an apple slice in the mix. Crunchy, caramel-y flavor for the whole crew to enjoy.
- 1-2 medium sized apples (we used Granny Smiths), cored and thinly sliced into rounds
- Graham crackers
- Large marshmallows
- Caramel sauce (we used Smucker’s Caramel Sundae Syrup)
- Lay out graham cracker halves.
- Top each graham cracker with one apple slice.
- Toast marshmallows on the fire to your desired doneness.
- Place on marshmallow on top of each apple slice.
- Finish by drizzling with caramel sauce.
- Enjoy “open-face” style.
Teddy Grahams Walking S’more
Sometimes even an old classic needs a facelift, and that’s exactly what we did to this recipe. This is our Teddy Grahams Walking S’MORE. Not only is this walking dessert easier to eat, it requires little cleanup – with all the mess secured in the Teddy Grahams bag. This is a delicious s’more in a bag! Adjust the amount of hot chocolate powder to your liking – and enjoy!
- Teddy Grahams crackers/cereal in a single serving bag or cup
- Hot chocolate powder
- Marshmallow Crème
- Reddi-Whip topping
- Open snack-sized bag of Teddy Grahams.
- Add a scoop of hot chocolate powder.
- Add a couple spoons full of marshmallow crème.
- Top the bag with Reddi-Whip to taste.
- Dig in with spoon and enjoy!
For dozens of recipes for “walking snacks” and “walking desserts” visit www.50campfires.com.