With three young nieces, ages 8-10 years old, coming to visit me this summer, I was trying to think of some fun games and activities that would keep them occupied and happy. Bass Pro Shops Family Summer Camp provides the perfect answer. And it's free! The event, held June 7 through July 13, at most of the 64* Bass Pro Shops located across the United States and Canada, features free games, activities and workshops. Families can learn skills such as archery, camping, hunting, fishing, and kayaking. Other workshops include water and travel safety, backyard adventures, and birdwatching.
|Plan your summer to include Bass Pro's Family Summer Camp. Photo taken at the Bass Pro store in Palm Bay, FL.
The workshops are conducted by experts, last about 20 minutes each, and the kids will get a free lanyard and then earn a free, collectible pin for every workshop completed.
Kids Have Different Activities Every Week
After doing some of the workshops, my nieces can try free craft activities such as:
- Coloring a wooden ring toss.
- Creating a rainbow thermometer.
- Designing a magnifying glass.
- Making a personal camp journal.
- Coloring a wooden wiggle fish.
- Painting a wolf track.
Bass Pro has a different craft activity will be featured each week on Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from noon - 2 p.m.
At the stores, kids can enjoy several free hands-on activities including:
- Fishing at catch and release ponds.**
- Casting at targets.
- Shooting arcade and archery.
- Daisy BB gun ranges.
- Carousel (not available at all stores).
- Souvenir photo*** opportunities are available Saturdays and Sundays only from noon-5 p.m., June 7-8, and June 14-15.
- Plus, each Saturday throughout the event families can enjoy the great tradition of homemade ice cream sampling from 5 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Note: Not all special activities will be available at all stores. Please visit the Bass Pro Summer Camp website and click on an individual store site for store locations, activities, and times.
Adults Can Enter For a Chance to WIN a Weekend at the Race Track
In addition, everyone over the age of 21 is invited to enter a chance to win the Weekend at the Race Track Giveaway June 7-15. Two lucky winners will receive:
- Grandstand tickets for the NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Richmond International Raceway including post-race access passes September 5 and 6.
- The use of two luxury RV’s at the raceway (one for each grand prize winner and guests).
- Garage and pit access passes.
- Officially licensed NASCAR apparel package and tailgating supplies.
- Private meet-n-greet with select NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers plus a post-race photo with the 2014 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup contenders.
My nieces say they can’t wait to come to Family Summer Camp at Bass Pro Shops. I can’t wait to take them camping and fishing the next time they come down so they can put to use all the fun stuff they’ll learn.
* Branson, Missouri store will only offer the free workshops and crafts portion of the event.
** Rocky View/Calgary, Alberta store will not offer catch and release fishing pond.
*** Miami, Florida and Branson, Missouri will not have souvenir photos.