ILLINOIS, Potential new hand gun owner

Particularly for the state is Illinois.
Probably quick and easy questions for someone here.
1. Wife and I both have our FOID cards. Is there another license/certification that we need before purchasing a hand gun, other than actually registering the hand gun itself?
2. I have noticed there are Right Handed guns and Left Handed guns. What is the difference? Wife writes right-handed, but is left-dominant when shooting with her recurve bow (archery).
3. Ok, here is one of those questions that everyone tends to chime in about. Sorta like "What brand of oil should I use in my car" or "what is the best truck on the market to buy"
My question is...If I want to buy just one handgun, that must be easy enough to use/carry/conceal as a woman's first handgun, as well as suitable for a man that has limited experience with firearms, what would you recommend?

Thank you

-Drew
Thank you received: 69
User

Welcome to the forum Mobley.......Best advice i can give, is go to a range that rents guns, and try a few out...They will usually waive the rental fees if you buy a gun. She needs to pick the gun, and be comfortable with it, or she may not want to practice, or want additional / advanced training...When i first started shooting i really wanted a Glock..after shooting one a few times, just couldn't get comfortable with it (it didnt feel good in my hand) something about the grip angle i think..? But glad i didn't buy one. The 38/357 revolver is one you should check out...simple to clean, simple to operate, plenty of firepower.. They are nice in a tense situation, nothing to figure out, or go wrong. No- will it jam...no-is there one in the pipe..no-is the safety on or off.....JUST PICK IT UP, AND START SQUEEZIN......If your looking at semi-auto's your lefty will want one with ambidex safety and mag release...Go shoot the Ruger SR9c...Its my current carry gun ...I love it.
User

Sorry i cant help you with the legal stuff. We dont have any of that here in ohio. Your County Sheriff's office would probably be a good source of info...Maybe their website, or just call, they probably get questions on the subject all the time.
User

I will be glad to help any way i can. I'm a part time RSO at my local range, Have worked with the ladies, and first time shooters alot..... 😃
Thank you received: 0
User

1.All you need to purchase the firearm is your FOID card. To conceal and carry is a separate license that comes with a training class requirement designed to discourage you from doing so.
2/3. I will agree with Jessica, try to rent some and find out what is best. Eye dominance will likely determine which hand you will be squeezing the trigger with. Some guns have ambidextrous magazine releases and/or safeties, or some are reversible where you can swap it to the otherside. A lot of people seem to like the Beretta PX4 as a first gun as it has the ambidextrous features and a thumb safety that you don't get in the striker fired pistols (glocks, most S&W M&P models, Springfield XD's).
User

The PX4 is a really nice gun. And hammer fired pistols tend to have better triggers than the striker fired ...We have one in our rental program at the range, 1000s of rounds thru it with no problems..Bassfanatic has one..you could PM him...I'm sure he wouldn't mind telling you all about it.... 😃 Tell him i sent you.....lol