Shot Gun Shells

What are your favorite shells for use as home defense rounds and why........
Thank you received: 69
User

My choice is a 3in - 00 Buck. That shell consists of 9 - .33 caliber pellets,, that at close range hit the target with over 1500 ft/lbs of energy. Thats 3 times as much as a .45acp,,and 5 times more than a 9mm. The last round is always a HP deer slug, and my SW.40 is wiithin easy reach in case things take a turn for the worse........................ 😲
Image01092013202002.jpg

Thank you received: 2
User

The loads I like to keep on hand for my Mossberg 500E .410's are the federal 3-inch #4 buck and the 2-1/2 inch '000' buck, in my informal tests both loads seem very capable for the defensive role,both of my .410's wear 18.5 inch cylinder choke barrels that pattern #4 buck well for close range (inside the house) the '000' is more suited to mid range tasks due to concerns of over penetration, and slugs for "long range" jobs.
Thank you received: 69
User

I'm leery of the double OO over penetrating & going thru multiple walls , My longest shot would be 12-15" .

Bassfanatic

I live alone..in a brick house..so not too worried about that. I might try to work it out so i dont have to shoot the intruder on my new carpet....lure him onto the tile somehow....LOL

I'm leery of the double OO over penetrating & going thru multiple walls , My longest shot would be 12-15" .

Bassfanatic

For inside, home defense, 2 3/4 inch would serve you well. You still run the risk of penetrating an interior wall but if you go with lower brass and smaller shot, you run the risk of the shell not doing it's job.
Thank you received: 21
User

My 1st line of home defense is our German Shepherd dog.
I'll let my husband handle the rest. 😘
Thank you received: 21
User

I told him you found this new site he should be along shortly. Polar says he has been busy at the shop in addition to not feeling top notch with recurring bowel problems. 🙃
I'll tell him you asked.