Lure craft and modification

Years ago I got into pouring plastic baits, making spinnerbaits and skirted jigs and in-line spinners. All caught fish at one time or other and of all species of fish. If you don't want to get into making your own from scratch, there are modifications of lures you already own that may improve their catch rate. Here are a few :
The grub that caught this gill was once a curl tail grub and I always assumed that that the only way a grub could get a fish to bite was with some action tail design.
IMG_0023.jpg
Last fall, I had a fish bite the tail off my grub and decided to continue fishing with it. Man did it catch fish after fish and of different species! So then produced a grub with a cone shaped tail to see how that would work - here's what it looks like:
conetailgrub.JPG
*note: I won't take a photo of a new lure design unless it's caught over a dozen fish and on different outings.
So from the above discovery, I cut off the action tail of different grubs and rigged them on 1/16 oz. ball head jigs.

Now I'm saying that tailless grubs are better than action tails, but in my experience since last Oct., better than most action tails when fish are not super active and when a super-slow retrieve is needed. This is not to say that no-tail grubs have no action because this would be far from the truth!!! On a slow retrieve with slight increases in reel handle speed and slight rod tip twitches, the lure waddles as it swims along. If the lure is made of very soft plastic, it not only waddles but the tail flutters - even under a float with a slight chop on the water.

One of the best modifications of a soft plastic lure is to combine the parts of two lures using a candle flame.
Method: cut the parts to be joined, hold each briefly over a flame and hold together for 4 seconds.
Example: I found that I didn't care for the body of Berkley's Ribbon Tail Grub so I cut off the tail and added to the body of a Slider Grub:

powergrubribbontailonSliderWormbody.jpg
The tail is superior to any other curl tail in my opinion because it flutters at the slowest retrieve whereas other curl tail and shad tail designs must be moved faster.

As you can see from the picture below of the hybrid lure and crappie caught on it , the lure was made from joining the parts of a grub body and the tail of a plastic worm minus the curl tail - one of my best pan fish lures and one that has caught 6 fish species.

grubmodwindingHillsmay2016.jpg

All it takes is a little bit of imagination and daring to try something not prepackaged. Modification variations are unlimited and you never know when a bit of change may make a lure far more productive.